Urban Ventures' CityKid Food initiative is a social enterprise that brings fresh, affordable produce and nutrition and agricultural education to food deserts in Minneapolis. We employ youth from the neighborhood to work on our urban farm and Mobile Farmers Market while teaching them about the food cycle.
- Farm to Family- Our two urban farms produce 50,000 pounds of fresh produce every summer, all pesticide-free, for 80,000 meals.
- Mobile Farmers Market- Our first-of-its-kind roaming market makes hundreds of stops every summer, selling produce at a discounted cost in areas designated as USDA food deserts.
- Education is Key- Our professional nutrition educator partners with Minneapolis public schools to provide classes, tastings and cooking demonstrations to local youth and families.
With your help, our summer campaign will allow the CityKid Food project to become more financially sustainable and double its job creation initiatives.
- Build a new 5,000 sq. ft. hydroponic greenhouse on
the Midtown Greenway. This greenhouse will be a game-changer. It will allow us to grow and sell produce
throughout the year and will provide a sustainable, year-round revenue stream for the program.
- Repurpose a commercial shipping crate into a permanent market stand along
the Midtown Greenway. This new market stand will serve as a community gathering place and sell fresh produce, as well as café
fare. It will also create part-time job opportunities and vocational training for neighborhood youth.
- Launch a salsa and honey business, using ingredients sourced from our farm, greenhouses and bee hives. This social enterprise will be run by local neighborhood women and will provide them with stable and meaningful employment.
Become a fundraiser or start a group fundraiser and win Urban Ventures gear!
- Raise $250 and receive a free bag of Urban Ventures' CityKid Java Coffee.
- Raise $500 and receive a free bag of CityKid Java Coffee + your choice of an Urban Ventures travel duffle bag or an Urban Ventures golf set (Urban Ventures golf polo and golf balls).
- Raise $1,000 and receive a free bag of CityKid Java Coffee, your choice of an Urban Ventures travel duffle bag or an Urban Ventures golf set, plus a free lunch and personalized tour of the Urban Ventures campus! Get to know our neighborhood and see the programs you’ve funded – from the urban farm to the job placement center – in action.
Urban Ventures, the parent organization of CityKid Food, empowers families to break the cycle of generational poverty in South Minneapolis. Our 12 ventures focus holistically on creating sustainable jobs, closing the achievement gap and strengthening families. Learn how you can get involved with Urban Ventures!