Local house museum. The Pillars was the long time home of early Bolivar settler John Houston Bills and his descendent’s. The Pillars has many "firsts" since it was built in 1828.Local house museum. The Pillars was the long time home of early Bolivar settler John Houston Bills and his descendent’s. The Pillars has many "firsts" since it was built in 1828. It was the first brick residence in Bolivar, has the first indoor bathroom, and the first free lending library. It is one of a very few house museums with most of the original furnishings and family artifacts. The Pillars is open to the public during the yearly Home Tour and by appointment for group. The old court house is a two-story log building was constructed on Court Square in 1824 to serve as the first courthouse and jail for the newly formed Hardeman County. In 1827, Levi Joy, a settler from Boston, moved it to its present location and used it as his home. Next Dr. Thomas Moore owned the building, additions were made in 1849 and it passed through his heirs, the Hardaway, until 1967. It now functions as the county’s museum. In 2008, the Honorable Judge Chip Cary held General Sessions Court in the old courtroom. This made it Tennessee's oldest "active" log courthouse. On June 2015, the County Mayor Sain, held the County's Commissioners Meeting at the Little Courthouse Museum and passed the county's financial budget for the 2016 physical year for the county. This was the first time the County Commission had held a meeting in the old courtroom since 1827. This meeting still keeps the old building's status as an "active" courthouse.
Can’t donate? Please share. Even a quick share on Facebook can help.
The average share raises $97.
Looking to raise money?