Paperwork When Selling a Car in Indiana

Paperwork When Selling a Car in Indiana

From Prince Alexis

I'm raising money for a cause I care about, but I need your help to reach my goal! Please become a supporter to follow my progress and share with your friends.

Support this campaign

Subscribe to follow campaign updates!

More Info

Paperwork Required Selling a Car in Indiana 

Where do you begin when selling a car in Indiana? The process in general may seem daunting, but looking at it step-by-step makes it much less intimidating. We've created a categorized breakdown of what to hope to make it significantly easier. 

Selling a Vehicle in Indiana 

As it is in most U.S. states, Indiana requires all motor vehicles to be titled. Your car title is one of the most important documents you'll use to sell your car in Indiana, since you will use the title assignment to transfer ownership to the buyer. The title assignment is located on the back of the title, and includes blank spaces to be loaded up with the following information: 

  • Odometer reading

  • Purchase date

  • Selling cost

Signatures from both the buyer and seller. 

According to Indiana law, failure to disclose this information is a Class A misdemeanor and a Class D lawful offense for subsequent offenses. As a seller, you are also responsible for removing the vehicle's license plate at the hour of the sale. In any case, it is the buyer's responsibility to acquire another title and registration. 

Since there are high stakes involved when selling a car, both financially and legally, our Guide to Selling Your Car provides an easy-to-read outline with access to invaluable resources so you can appreciate a smoother process. 

Required Documents 

In most cases, you will just need the following documents to sell your car in Indiana: 

Vehicle certificate of title

  • Application for Certificate of Title (Structure 205)

  • Bill of Sale (Structure 44237)

  • Odometer Disclosure Statement (Structure 43230)

  • Mechanic's Lien Bill of Sale (Structure 23104)

Additional and/or substitute forms will also be required in exceptional circumstances. These forms include: 

Request for Out of State Title to Consummate Lien (Structure 1014): Necessary when a lien holder in another state has possession of the original vehicle title. 

One and the Same Person Affidavit (Structure 13637): This structure is designed to clear any discrepancies between your name and the name listed on the title and/or registration. 

A total list of forms can be found on the official website for Indiana's Bureau of Motor Vehicles 

Duplicate Title in Indiana 

You car's title certificate is a critical document when selling a car in Indiana. Notwithstanding, if your title has been lost, stolen, destroyed, or is otherwise inaccessible, you can always apply for a duplicate title. 

Vehicle History Report 

When selling a car, it's important to be completely forthright and forthright about your vehicle's condition. That's the reason obtaining a vehicle history report can assist you with selling your vehicle. Want to find out about them? Please visit our Vehicle History Reports page. 

All you need is the vehicle identification number (VIN) and you'll have access to details, for example, 

Title information 

  • Odometer reading

  • Structural damage

  • Administrations and repairs

  • Accident indicators

Indiana Salvage Title 

In case you're selling a salvaged car in the state of Indiana, you should have a salvage title certificate if the car was manufactured inside the last 7 years. Vehicles more seasoned than 7 years may also be given a salvage title upon demand. 

For more information, visit our Salvaged Vehicles in Indiana page

Transferring Tags after a Sale 

Make sure to expel the vehicle's tags after you sell your vehicle. On the off chance that you wish to keep the plate yourself for another vehicle, make sure to have it appropriately enlisted at an Indiana permit branch. 

Application for Certificate of Title (Structure 205) 

Bill of Sale (Structure 44237) 

Odometer Divulgence Statement (Structure 43230) 

Mechanic's Lien Bill of Sale (Structure 23104) 

Solicitation for Out of State Title to Consummate Lien (Structure 1014) 

One and the Same Individual Affidavit (Structure 13637)

Campaign Wall

Join the Conversation

Sign in with your Facebook account or