I’m raising money to help with Cancer treatment for my 8 year old niece and lost wages for my brother’s family while he’s out of work taking care of her.
We are half way there!!! Let’s keep it going! Thank you everyone for your support, so far!!!
on November 21, 2016, my brother and his family’s life would be changed forever. They received the news that Sammy, their 4 year old daughter had Leukemia. She fought hard and strong, and on March 17, 2017, she was officially in remission. On July 20, 2020, after going in for a routine blood draw, my brother received the unthinkable phone call, Sammy’s cancer is back. The plan of attack, this round, is going to be more aggressive. So, it’s time to rally together, put those orange bracelets back on, #fightforsammy Whatever money raised is going to help cover medical bills for her treatment.
Newest update from my brother::
“forgot to update Day 2, and I apologize. Today is finishing up Day 3 already and unfortunately there isn't much good to report. The last couple days have been tough on our little warrior.
The chemo is already hitting her hard and affecting her appetite. In the last 48 hours she has pretty much thrown up what little she has tried to put down, and the excessive diarrhea has done the job of clearing out the rest.
The doctors and nurses continue to monitor her and aren't overly concerned but they are trying to encourage semi normal behavior, at least as much as possible in a Covid/Cancer world.
We're hoping the next couple days will be a bit better since we don't have any more IV chemo due til next Thursday.
She spends most of her time resting, and she does have a few things to try and keep her occupied otherwise so for now we take it a day at a time. We'll continue to update as more info is available but for now, just keep rooting for her.
Latest update from my brother:
“We just finished up our first official day of chemo.
Spent most of the day playing the waiting game and after conferring with more doctors, the plans we discussed with our team yesterday were implemented late this evening.
Poor Sammy spent the day mostly resting with a fever, but our doctors assure us there's nothing to worry about yet.
We're gonna get some more much needed rest for now but we'll be in contact soon.
Latest Update from my Brother, from last night if you are in Facebook, you can join his group “Sammy’s Journey”
Here's where we're at so far for today....
Some preliminary tests have come back and they seem to be mostly positive. She is considered to be intermediate risk in the relapse based on age, time since remission and overall health. Low risk is very difficult to achieve so it's the best we can hope for.
The cancer, so far, appears to be limited to only a relapse of her Type B-ALL that she had before so the initial plan will be to use a lot of the same or similar medicines, just with increased dosages and adjusted frequency.
Yesterday she had her mediport reinstalled and they did a bone marrow biopsy and spinal tap with her first round of spinal chemo to get a jump on the process while finalizing where to go from here. The last two days and tomorrow have had numerous conferences and tons of research to come up with the best course of action.
Every relapse case is different and the plan will be constantly adjusted as needed going forward but for at least the first month of induction therapy, we're going to be taking up residence in the Hotel Rainbow again. This seems to be the best and safest course of action for now with the adjusted medicine plan.
It's unfortunate, and we're not sure how we're going to make it work entirely but we have no choice but to try.
Based on the positive indicators, the team is cautiously optimistic that we can do this. Expected survival rate is about 65%. We REFUSE to settle for any outcome but that one.
With Covid restrictions, visitors are not allowed at this time. Jennie and I are the only ones allowed up, not even her siblings are allowed to come up... it really sucks.
Things can be sent to the hospital vis MacDonald House at Rainbow Babies and Children, Mac6 Room 6017 or taken to our house and we can find ways to get it to the hospital ourselves. Obviously this isn't necessary, but I know who I'm dealing with out there.
My sister has also put together a new Fundly page to help with expected hospital bills and lost wages while getting this process underway. Obviously times are tight so no expectations are out there but any help is appreciated if possible.
More updates will come as we can and we appreciate all your continued love and support.
Can’t donate? Please share. Even a quick share on Facebook can help.
The average share raises $97.
Looking to raise money?