Help Meghan with surgery for Endometriosis

Help Meghan with surgery for Endometriosis

From Meghan MacNeil

I am raising money to help Meghan to get the surgery she needs which is not covered by insurance. - Will

Support this campaign

Subscribe to follow campaign updates!

Recent Updates

Update #1

11 months ago

Update!

I want to thank everyone who has helped me both financially and emotionally through this time. You each have played a role in changing my life. The doctor gave me two stats that really show how much this surgery has done for me. First, before the surgery I had around a 15% chance of being able to conceive and after I now have an 85% chance. For someone who has wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember this means the world to me. Second, 95% of the people Dr. Sinervo operates on need another surgery because of endometriosis growing back. Having dealt with this pain for the last 13 years, two failed surgeries, and all that goes with endometriosis this means I have a chance to finally start living without the constant fear of having a flare and ending up back in bed not being able to function because of the pain. So thank you everyone! Please feel free to give anyone who may be struggling with this my information because it can be very isolating and there is a lot of misinformation out there. Love you!

More Info

Update!

Tomorrow I will be a week post operation and I want to thank everyone who has helped me both financially and emotionally through this time. You each have played a role in changing my life. The doctor gave me two stats that really show how much this surgery has done for me. First, before the surgery I had around a 15% chance of being able to conceive and after I now have an 85% chance. For someone who has wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember this means the world to me. Second, 95% of the people Dr. Sinervo operates on need another surgery because of endometriosis growing back. Having dealt with this pain for the last 13 years, two failed surgeries, and all that goes with endometriosis this means I have a chance to finally start living without the constant fear of having a flare and ending up back in bed not being able to function because of the pain. So thank you everyone! Please feel free to give anyone who may be struggling with this my information because it can be very isolating and there is a lot of misinformation out there. Love you!

Background

   I have been dating Meghan for over two years, and in that time I have seen her deal with the demoralization and loss of hope that can come with Endometriosis. Not being able to work, get out of bed, take care of herself, struggling to find the motivation to do simple things that people are able to do effortlessly, these are just a few ways I have seen endometriosis affect her quality of life. She had a laparoscopy in 2011, and again in 2017, both times failed to rid her of the condition, and each time it has returned has been more demoralizing than the last. Both of these failed surgeries were done by general gynecologists, the second of which stage 3 endometriosis was confirmed. In these periods of endo flare ups, Meghan has been very strong and has been able to perservere in conditions that would drive many people over the edge however to continue living this way long term is no way for anyone to live, which is why we are desperately searching for ways to get answers and find hope.

What is Endometriosis?

Endometriosis  affects 1 in 10 women, yet the disease is still highly misunderstood within the medical community. It is the presence of endometrial-like tissue found outside of the uterus. Endometriosis causes a tremendous amount of paininflammation, organ dysfunction, bowl or urinary disorders, infertility, extreme fatigue, and so forth.The disease may impact all areas of the pelvis, bowel, bladder, fallopian tubes, behind the pelvis, the diaphragm, small bowel, appendix, pelvic side walls, pelvic floor, peritoneal pockets, ovaries, uterus, and rarely in the lungs.Many women are dismissed by doctors who claim their pain is “normal.” As a result, it takes an average of 8-10 years to get diagnosed. Once diagnosed, a woman faces an uphill battle to find proper treatment. Most regular physicians will prescribe some form of hormonal treatment, including the pill, to “suppress” the disease. This does not work. The pill is NOT the proper treatment for endometriosis - it just masks symptoms. The disease will continue to grow and progress, no matter what form of medication is used.While many OB/GYN’s are willing to perform surgery, most of them are not adequately trained. Endometriosis surgery is more serious and complicated than most people realize. The disease is highly complex and requires expertly trained surgeons. Most GYN's do not have the certifications or skills to operate in all infected areas. The disease manifests in many different shapes, colors, sizes, and locations, causing most surgeons to miss it entirely. If they manage to find any disease, the surgeon will most likely use ablation (vulgarization) to burn off the diseased tissue. This is NOT proper treatment, as deeply infiltrating disease cannot be burned. Unfortunately, women who receive this type of surgery have an 80% chance of Endometriosis growing back. 

Why we need you

A few months ago we finally found a surgeon willing to take Meghan’s case at the Center for Endometriosis Care in Atlanta, GA. Dr. Ken Sinervo is known for his amazing and extensive care. He has a 95% success rate with his surgeries of removing the disease entirely. This is better than other experts, who have an 85% success rate. And exceptionally better than the national average for OBGYN’s, with a shockingly low success rate of only 20%. Because Meghan has had two other failed surgeries she is not willing to have a third one that leaves her unable to function like others less than two years later. Meghan also wants to be able to have kids and be a mom more than anything. With this condition comes a risk of infertility and having the surgery will give her a greater chance of being able to conceive. 

This all being said the surgeron does not take insurance and extensive procedure is going to cost around $20,000 all together. I am asking for any help possible financially with this as we are not in the place to take of it ourselves. While we do have some helping already the costs are too much for just then to handle fully. Thank you for your time!

Educational information:

If you have any concern for yourself or someone else that might be suffering with this condition please check out these sources:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/418136991574617/files/

http://endometriosis.org/resources/articles/myths/

http://centerforendo.com/introduction-to-endometriosis/#introduction-to-endometriosis-1

Campaign Wall

Join the Conversation

Sign in with your Facebook account or

Help Meghan raise $5,000 by making a donation.

Meghan MacNeil posted a new update:
11 months ago

Update #1

Update!

I want to thank everyone who has helped me both financially and emotionally through this time. You each have played a role in changing my life. The doctor gave me two stats that really show how much this surgery has done for me. First, before the surgery I had around a 15% chance of being able to conceive and after I now have an 85% chance. For someone who has wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember this means the world to me. Second, 95% of the people Dr. Sinervo operates on need another surgery because of endometriosis growing back. Having dealt with this pain for the last 13 years, two failed surgeries, and all that goes with endometriosis this means I have a chance to finally start living without the constant fear of having a flare and ending up back in bed not being able to function because of the pain. So thank you everyone! Please feel free to give anyone who may be struggling with this my information because it can be very isolating and there is a lot of misinformation out there. Love you!

Join the Conversation

Sign in with your Facebook account or

All Updates