About CHCI Scholarships
Recent studies indicate that 90 percent of the fastest-growing and highest-paying jobs require some postsecondary education. Yet, Latinos have the highest dropout rate among the three major ethnic groups-Hispanic, African American, and Caucasian. Since one out of every two new entrants into the workforce will be Hispanic by 2025, there is a tremendous need for college-educated Latinos to meet future workforce needs.
CHCI’s Scholarship Program supports educational attainment goals by providing critical financial assistance to Latino students in community college, four-year programs, and graduate school.
In 2011, CHCI changed 175 lives through its scholarship awards. Through CHCI’s support, scholarship recipients stayed on the path toward earning a college degree, thus ensuring a brighter future for themselves and their families.
- Last year, 73 percent of CHCI scholarship recipients came from homes with annual incomes less than $45,000.
- Many CHCI scholarship recipients are the first in their families to attend college.
- On average, CHCI receives nearly 3,000 applications for CHCI scholarships each year. The need is great!
About the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI)
In 1978, a small group of Hispanic Members of Congress established CHCI with the vision of bringing the promise of the American Dream to the next generation of Latinos. Today, CHCI is the nation’s premier Hispanic nonprofit and nonpartisan 501 (c)(3) leadership development organization that creates young Latino leaders by:
- promoting college readiness;
- supporting college attainment;
- providing unmatched professional experience; and
- offering award-winning leadership development programs that connect participants to a powerful network of Latino leaders.