Anís is our 2.5 year old teacup Chihuahua who’s been sick for 3 months. After extensive care from our vet, we’ve transferred to a specialist who’s determined our baby urgently needs surgery.
Update❗️ We now have enough to get Anís into surgery this morning!
This fundraiser is for our baby, Anís, (pronounced Anise). Anís is a two and a half year old teacup Chihuahua who, heartbreakingly, has been sick for about three months. We’ve had Anís since she was a tiny puppy and she’s a very important member of our family. She’s beloved by many of all ages and has helped me overcome/manage my severe depression, anxiety, and PTSD, which has been documented in therapy. She comforted me through my entire pregnancy and has been a loving angel to our four month old baby. She accompanies us everywhere we’re able to take her as she’s extremely well behaved, quiet, and very friendly to everyone.
The past three months, however, she hasn’t been herself. She’s been coughing, hacking, shaking, whining, lethargic, has had an upset stomach, has lost almost a pound, etc. Initially, we took her to Juan Tabo Animal Clinic, (under my mom Cindy Romero’s account), they checked her out, and gave her anti-nausea medication. We could tell she still wasn’t feeling well, so we returned – starting a pattern. They tested a fecal sample for parasites that came back negative and gave her eye and nose drops. Still no progress. They then gave her a two week shot of antibiotics. No progress. They provided us with a second oral antibiotic to administer to her. No progress. They then took x-rays and discovered her lungs have some serious issues. It appeared to them that she has pneumonia. They gave us a third antibiotic. No progress. She was then hospitalized. They gave her fluids, emergency food, and lots of love. She returned home after another series of x-rays, where they felt she was doing better. A week later, they did more x-rays and her health appeared to be steadily improving. We were feeling very hopeful, but we could tell she still was not herself. We returned to the clinic for more x-rays, only to hear her lungs looked worse. Our vet told us she wanted to send in bloodwork to see if Anís has Valley Fever, (or any other difficult to treat fungal infection, as we had lived in Northern Mexico for nine months). They also sent off her x-rays to be reviewed by a radiologist. In the meantime, we were given a fourth oral antibiotic. (From this point forward, she’s been on three antibiotics, two given twice daily.) While waiting for her results, we returned as she was worrying us. They kept her for the day, gave her more fluids and emergency food, and put a rush on her results. Her results for fungal infection came back negative. However, the radiologist let us know there had been no improvement in her lungs, her heart is somewhat displaced by the inflammation, and we need to see a specialist immediately. She may either have aspiration pneumonia or cancer. We called a specialist to make an appointment and see what needs to be done to make a diagnosis. They need to set up a consultation, ultrasound, CT scan, and fine needle aspirate. Basically, they need to get a better picture of what’s going on internally and analyze a sample of lung fluid. They will then go from there. She’s young and has a very good chance of surviving this ordeal, but we’ve got to act now.
She has her consultation appointment today, but in order to keep moving forward, we’ve got to do some fundraising. All of this is going to be extremely expensive, (possibly $6,000+), and they do not offer payment plans. My partner is applying for CareCredit and I do have a tax refund coming in a couple of weeks. The problem is, we don’t currently have access to that money and I’m also a stay-at-home mom with an infant. We’re low income and were relying on that money to obtain transportation, etc, as many families do. ((Please refer to our updates for further information.))
Having said all of that, we would immensely appreciate any donations anyone is able to help out with – even $1. Every penny truly counts.
Also, a few friends and family members have already donated using @nopalxochitl on Venmo, Apple Pay, or through our duplicate fundraiser on Facebook and we are so grateful. Thank you all so much!!
More than anything, we please ask you to share this and send prayers or healing vibes to our little Anís. Thank you.
The Psychiatrist I was seeing in 2016 into 2017 had a phone line that went to an inactive voicemail. She had two numbers listed online and I was calling the wrong one. I ran out of meds because of this and realized how much they had changed my body and how dependent I was. I could barely get out of bed because of the physical pain I was in. I decided to get off of medication and Anís was ultimately how I got the courage. That’s what she means to me and our family.
Fundraising Update❗️ With the generosity and shares of all our supporters, we’ve raised an additional $230 since our last update! We now need $390 to get Anís into surgery tomorrow!
Thank you all so very much and please continue to like and share!
UPDATE❗️ Anís attended her appointment this afternoon. They reviewed all of her files and preformed an ultrasound on her. The veterinarian stated this is one of the most bizarre cases he’s ever seen. He thinks she either has a blood clot or her lung is twisted. Furthermore, she’s never endured trauma of any kind. They need to go in and remove the problematic lung lobe asap.
She has an appointment this Wednesday, (April 3rd), for surgery – however – in order to be able to attend this appointment, we’ve got to fundraise an additional $470. Right now on Facebook we’re at $310 and I also received an additional $50 privately. Her surgery is still going to cost thousands, but we have some wonderful friends willing to lend us the majority.
Again, please, please share our fundraiser to help us save our baby, Anís!
Can’t donate? Please share. Even a quick share on Facebook can help.
The average share raises $97.