An Overview Of Adjustment of status Process

An Overview Of Adjustment of status Process

From Mathew Philip

I'm raising money for a cause I care about, but I need your help to reach my goal! Please become a supporter to follow my progress and share with your friends.

Support this campaign

Subscribe to follow campaign updates!

More Info

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) allows an individual's immigration status to be changed from temporary non-immigrant or parolee to permanent immigrant for a green card in a specific category if he or she has been inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and meets all of the requirements. The process of changing to permanent residency status is referred to as "adjustment of status."


The process of obtaining permanent resident status, also known as a green card, without having to travel to their home country to complete visa formalities is known as Adjustment of status (Green Card). A relative who is already a green card holder or a US citizen can also petition for a green card by completing Form I-130 for it. 


The immigrant spouse receives conditional status by marrying a US citizen, which can be converted to permanent resident status by completing Form I-751 ninety days before the conditional status expires. "Consular processing" is another way for someone from outside the United States to get a visa and become a permanent resident in the United States.


The application Form I-485 will be reviewed by Lockbox employees to see if it should be approved or refused. Applications will be accepted if all relevant forms and filing fees are current. Once an application for status adjustment is accepted, the lockbox staff will provide a computerized filing receipt with the case number, which the applicant can use to inquire about status.


The accepted application for Adjustment of status (Green Card) is forwarded to the National Benefits Center, which will issue a second receipt after the application materials have been received. The National Benefits Center will handle the processing of the Employment Authorization and Advance Parole applications, as well as ensuring that the I-485 application is complete.



Permanent Residency Process


Adjustment of Status is a term used to describe when a visa is changed from one category to another. The regulations governing immigration allow for visa changes from immigration to non-immigrant visas. The USCIS alters the visa status based on the applicants' eligibility and quota. An immigrant's status can be changed even if they are examined by an immigration officer or a payroll immigrant.


The official at the US Citizenship Consulate initially determines whether or not the immigrant falls into the appropriate category. The petitioner can adapt as an immigrant if he or she is sponsored by a family member. Of course, if a refugee or asylum seeker has been prosecuted by a group or has dreaded returning to their home country, they are also qualified to apply.


Holders of employment-based visas, such as H-1B, E-1, E-2, E-3, and L-1 visas, change their status to permanent resident status. I-130 form is completed by the employee together with the required documentation. The I-526 application form allows US Entrepreneurs or E-5 visa holders to change their status. To receive a green card, the entrepreneur must invest at least $100,000 and generate ten full-time employments for the US citizen.


In some cases, such as if a foreigner married a US citizen and then divorced or widowed, they may be able to change their status. They have the legal right to change their status from a spouse visa to permanent resident status. I-360 form allows them to change their status as an immigrant, and children under the age of 18 are also eligible.

Campaign Wall

Join the Conversation

Sign in with your Facebook account or